The applications for the University of Surrey’s 2019 Residential Summer Schools are now open!
Please find a copy of our brochure and flyer detailing our summer schools; this year we are running programmes in 22 exciting subject areas! If you have committed and talented students who you think would benefit from spending a week at university focussing on learning subject specific courses at higher education level please send them the details of our programme. Students will have the opportunity to work with undergraduates, academic staff, and students from other schools. The programmes will include lectures, seminars, practical activities, and a variety of fun social events in the evenings.
Who is Eligible?
The Summer Schools are free to eligible 16 and 17 year old Year 12 students from state schools and colleges who permanently reside in England. Priority will be given to students from currently underrepresented groups in Higher Education who meet one or more of the below criteria:
- From families where parents are in non-professional households (NS-SEC groups 4-8)
- From low income family (eligible for free school meals in last six years)
- Students from Low Participation Neighbourhoods (LPNs, defined as POLAR quintiles 1 and 2 in HEFCE’s POLAR4* classification)
- From families which have no parental history of participation in Higher Education
- From Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) groups
- Care leavers
- Classified as having a disability
- Young carers
- Students estranged from their families
- Students who have a parent/carer that has served in the armed forces or reserves
- White males from economically disadvantaged backgrounds (eligible for FSM, from NS-SEC groups 4-8 or live in an LPN)
* You can check if a student lives in an LPN (POLAR4 Quintile 1 or 2) by using the online Postcode look up tool https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/data-and-analysis/postcode-search/
The Residential Summer Schools are free to eligible students.
The University of Surrey will also pay for travel to and from the summer school, accommodation on the university campus, and meals and refreshments during the week.
How to Apply
Go to www.surrey.ac.uk/summer and fill in the online application form.
Please note, places are limited and the deadline for applications is 22nd March 2019.
If you would like more information on any of our summer schools, or if your students have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Widening Participation and Outreach Department on email@example.com.