We are delighted to announce that applications for the upcoming Experience Engineering residential at the University of Southampton is now open for applications. Please find further details below for you to forward onto any students you think may be interested in this opportunity.
Experience Engineering – 14th – 16th April 2019
Experience Engineering is an exciting residential course designed for Year 12 students interested in studying engineering at university. This engineering course will introduce students to the areas of Ship Science and Mechanical Engineering. Over the course of three days, participants will design, build and test a Greenpower car and a fastcraft for water as part of a team. Talks, workshops and seminars from staff and students in the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences provide insight into the wealth of careers and opportunities that an engineering degree can provide.
Participants live in university halls of residence for the duration of the course, and are mentored by current undergraduate and postgraduate students, giving them a unique opportunity to find out what life is like at university. The course is a great opportunity to get a taste for engineering ahead of university applications. This course is free to attend. To be eligible participants must be under the age of 18 at the time of the summer school, meet the following academic criteria:
- Have achieved at least five 9-7 grades at GCSE
- Are taking relevant subjects in relation to engineering (e.g. Maths, Physics and other Science subjects)
and meet at least two of the following Widening Participation criteria:
- In the first generation of your immediate family to apply to Higher Education
- Current home postcode shows that you live in an area with low levels of progression to Higher Education. (Postcodes within the lowest 2 POLAR4 young participation quintile). OfS Postcode Checker.
- Attended a school/college whose performance places it into the lowest two quintiles for average QCA points per A level student (or equivalent) (in England, Wales or Northern Ireland) as identified by the Department for Education dataset. Eligible schools for applications.
- In receipt of a 16-19 bursary or similar grant OR received Free School Meals at any point during your school education
- Living or grew up in Local Authority care
- Are a Young Carer
Here’s what past participants thought of their experience:
“This residential was a great taster of lots of engineering disciplines – it helped me decide my future plans!” [Student – 2015 Course]
“This course has provided me with tools to progress in my application to Uni.” [Student – 2017 course]
Applications are now OPEN for this course, and can be submitted here.